Stuff I like.

Saturday, January 02, 2010

GIMP Batch Watermarker

Yesterday, my wife and I were searching for a way to add a watermark to a bunch of images under windows. On a unix system I probably would have scripted together something with imagemagick using convert. We did find a utility for that purpose but it wasn't free. C'mon... do you really want me to pay you for the privilege of having copyright text? I wish I could make $20 a copy for something that could be written in an evening.

What we REALLY wanted was a generic batch processing system for the gimp. My dream solution to this problem is to tell the gimp to record the commands I invoked, save that (ideally as script-fu), and then run that same set of commands on a directory full of images. The closest thing we found was Dave's Batch Processor. You can rotate, scale, rename, and sharpen images in batch but you're basically limited to those things. With the way the plugin architecture of gimp works it really should be possible to do much better. Building some sort of macro recording tool seems more like the right answer.

This script isn't the right answer but it solves our problem. Point it at a directory of images and give it a string of text you want it to apply and it will modify every picture in that directory to include the string. You might want to test it on a handful of duplicated images first to make sure you like the results.

This script installs itself under the image menu. You'll find a single image watermarker (watermark the image you're editing right now) and a batch image watermarker (watermark everything in a given directory.)

To install, copy the script into your gimp scripts directory

  • On windows: C:\Program Files\gimp..\scripts
  • On unix: ~/.gimp2.6/scripts

Enjoy!

GIMP Batch Watermarker

I'm also posting this as a gist feel free to copy and improve it.

No comments:

Followers